It's Like a Movie... You Know?

We continued our discussion on the Allegory of the Cave today, and we had some very interesting conversations come up. We started class by watching a video that was only six minutes long and, in typical Human Geo/Western Civ. fashion, it took us the entire mod to watch it. Im not complaing though because we had a right to stop the video so many times, I even had a big realization myself: The entire time we have been discussing this allegory, I have not grapsed the concept of it. I never understood what it meant and it made absolutely no sense to me. But today, I think I discovered what it means; the reason I never got the point of it was because no two people are going to interpret this story the same in their heads. Everyone has a different view of it. That is exactly what Mr. Schick was trying to explain to us this whole time, and it is also the concept that I couldnt seem to wrap my head around this whole time. I also discovered what it meant to me personally. I like to watch a lot of movies, read a lot of books, and listen to a lot of songs, and all of these things have one thing in common: they try to create a picture-perfect lifestyle for the topic of their work. The whole point of the people living in this cave is that they are taught to believe that their life is great and its all a guessing game, there is no danger where they are. The second someone gets taken out and they see the real world, they want to tell everyone what they see but everyone else thinks they are a danger. The shadows on the walls play a movie of a perfect life, just like many actual movies do in your life, and the people in the cave are much more content thinking about the perfect life rather than facing the real world. People in the real world will do everything they can to make their life seem perfect, and to make it seem like some movie, but the second somebody calls them out for it and they speak the truth, that certain somebody gets blamed and threatened because they ruined the other persons picture-perfect place in the world. It may suck to hear the truth sometimes, but thats the only thing thats going to allow you to survive. Sure, its unfair that the innocent ones get blamed (like the man who was brought up from the cave did), but that is how life is. Some people in this world are so strong that you cannot put it into words, and they are strong enough to be the light of this world that makes the bad people seem good because they can see the good in everyone. Those are the types of people you should surround youreself with because they are the ones who are too good to be true. They are kind and they are LISTENERS. If we could all listen to one another (and I know I should take my own advice sometimes), we would have a greater understanding of the answer to the simple question of WHY? All good things have an end and you're exactly right, you're not gonna like everything that someone has to say to you. But you're lying to yourself if you think that you can get by out there by telling even more lies, but instead of only feeding them to yourself this time, you're feeding them to others as well. For me personally, this allegory has further proven my point that some people are just to scared and to dramatic to survive in this place we live in.  Some people in this world suck more than the actual world itself, and that is just another fact of life that we have to wake up to and face every single day. It is your job to make the most of this wonderful, yet awful world that we live on, not mine. You worry about you, and I will worry about me.



"Treat people with kindness."
                             - Harry Styles




- Karlee :)

Comments

  1. “Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. On the outside, babies, you've got a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies- "G** d*** it, you've got to be kind.” - Kurt Vonnegut

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts